Sunday, April 12, 2009

SAND CHIGGERS

Easter Sunday, 2009


On Sundays I carried baskets
from the red Studebaker 
to the Portage Laundromat

and helped my mother sort
loads into washtubs, then
filled the coin slots with silver dimes

and turned the knobs to "Hot/Heavy Wash"
and when the tub of whites began
to churn we opened up the lids

and added a cup of bleach
that stank more than the truck
that pumped sewage from the machines.

It was the grocer who ratted me out.
Given two nickels to spend 
at the Beer and Wine by the creek

I scoured the old highway ditch
for empties, discarded bottles of Blatz
and Drewrys for their 2 cents bounty,

I fished among the weeds for rusty
train line spikes, steak bones,
among the dragonflies and 

the weeds stung my legs, my hands
bled with rust.  At the beer store
I exchanged my loot for Milk Duds,

Necco Wafers and a bag of Be-Mo
Bar-B-Q potato chips and
a bottle O-So black cherry

to wash down the orange fire.
That night the fire spread to my legs
and red welts from my scratching.

I spent hours in the bathtub
every night, soaking while mother
daubed each scab with bleach

and I yelped at my stinging
flesh, shins and calves and ankles,
fierce blisters, laying in  the water

and kicking my skinny legs 
for inspection and more bleach,
an agony with each cotton dab

as my skin bunched into red
knots that bled puss.  "I told you 
about the chiggers," she said, 

and with swab I kicked and
thrashed, splashing water on
her and the linoleum.

Penance, the punishment for
disobedience and gluttony,
the stink of bleach curdling

my stomach like the Bar-B-Q
dusted chips and the chocolate
and soda syrup, stinging flesh,

the nettled fire a reminder
of the wages of sin, the price
of sin, the suffering of 

Jesus Christ our lord and master, 
and the real cost of living 
in this unforgiving world.  


No comments: