Sunday, January 04, 2009

WHAT DO WE DO WHEN WE KISS?

Last night I dreamt
we were getting married!
Odd, given the facts,
we don't speak and
I don't love you 
and you don't love me 
and we're both married
to others.  A groomsman
was helping me with my tux,
my carnation boutonniere 
and I thought wait a minute!\
I don't even know you!
We haven't even dated,
or necked, or held hands,
hell, I don't even know 
your last name and now
this whole thing's fate,
odd, isn't it?, I'm almost 
ashamed, my only thought
was what do we do 
when we kiss?  I mean, 
since we've never kissed?
And this wasn't about you
or me but the congregation,
those people waiting for us
to seal the deal?  
Would a simple 
peck on the lips do?
Or something more intimate?,
a suggestive brush of wet
softness, or one of those
histrionic dipsy-doodles? 
A real lollapalooza,  a passionate
tongue-swimming circus!
But it was a kiss of shame--
shame that I did not want
to kiss you, that I did not
find you kissable or
attractive and of course 
knowing that you found me
repulsive, a hideous wretch, 
but wouldn't admit it, not
at the threshold of our joining, 
yet knowing this was stupid, 
that this little moment
was such a clear sign 
of how our marriage 
would unfold, a passionless 
arrangement, a quotidian 
agreement to honor
each other's schedules
and machinations.  And how, 
I wanted to know, does one
kiss another bride in front of
one's wife?  But again, that had
been arranged.  This was more
like Judas and Jesus 
squaring off for their mythic
moment in Gethsemane,
a kiss neither of them 
wanted either, a kiss of
sacrament and shame,
a kiss of indifference 
in some passion play, 
the way a kiss should 
never be.  As we approached
the altar I watched the candles
flickering, the smoke curling
into curlicues, the brassy cross
shimmering.  I could not
look at you in your dress
of white roses or listen
to the prayer of the pastor,
I could only think of
the fate that awaited us,
ambivalence, disregard,
sealed not with a kiss
but the awful knowing 
of that kiss.


No comments: