Friday, November 23, 2012

IF HAPPY LITTLE BLUEBIRDS FLY BEYOND THE RAINBOW WHY, OH WHY, CAN'T I?

Here at poolside among the mudslides and
     mojitos I ask you how old is that
pine tree that looks like a big pineapple.
     It's a palm tree you idiot, she says, and my
eyes sneak off to the septuagenarian
     spread out in her hibiscus bikini
and her big bellied beluga tummy all buttered
     up and basting, there's a one-legged gull
begging for scraps and the rumble of
     speed boats warming up at the yacht club
before they careen into the bay where
     Winnebago gypsies fish for tarpon and tuna.
You're looking at frat boys in speedos
     nursing Bloody Mary's who groan when the
music shifts from Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville"
     to Mandy Potemkin crooning "Over the
Rainbow". All of this should be welcome
     at bayside but this is not a scene of
dolphin-chasing tourists, it's a scene of
     hangovers and sweating last night's rum,
it's Bob Marley and jammin', sucking limes
     and throwing back tequila shots. We feel
the gulf's pressure in our temples and rub
     our heads as if to massage away the
suffering and that's when I ask "who
      ordered the nachos?" and you say
really don't know, it just happened, and
     as the cheese slides down our fingers I see
the woman in the turquoise swimsuit and I feel
     the retractors crack open my chest like
an oyster shell, latex fingers massaging
     my heart and Mandy Potemkin singing
"Somwhere Over the Rainbow"  and for me  
     it's suddenly cold, very cold, and I wonder,
I really do, Why oh why can't I?

No comments: