Sunday, February 19, 2012

EARLY SPRING




“Don't turn around, your gypsy heart”
U2


It started on the coldest of days, walking back in the
wind and snow, shivering and
face-chapped after a day buried in the dull stacks that smelt
of Dewey and Veblen
and Hemingway, penciled notes scribbled in the margins,
witnesses from a time
of meaning, when there was a purpose, not like now when we

agree not to think hard
anymore, it was all behavior, and so walking in
the snow it seemed so cold
when that maroon Buick appeared from the flurries and you
stormed out in a t-shirt, 


bare arms hugging yourself, you trudged off into the flurries 
and I was afraid, 
so much passion in such bitter cold, scorched by your hot

syllables exploding
the air, I tried to offer you my snorkel coat but you’d
disappeared in snow, a ghost.
Come Spring when all the ballyhoos of forsythia burned
their glaring yellow in

yards of mud my cat Henry prowled the grass tracing the Spring
and found it in your house,
he wandered through the open door and curled asleep on your bed.
You invited me in
to retrieve him, this ruminant philosopher, this skinny
black Lothario, this
bundle of behaviors, this stimulus-response machine,

there we stood, you in your
overalls skirt, Henry in his finest black fur curled up
on your bed and me in

my St. Vincent de Paul finest thinking I dare not look so
I grabbed Henry and took off
only later to drop a letter in your box, a poem
I’d written right after
I’d locked the cat inside, it was a lark, something I was
sure you’d laugh at and scorn,

wad up and curse, I was happy to have sent it so I 
could return to the stacks
that smelt of old hay, to Emerson and Thoreau in that 
false spring, and knock my head
against sentences that taxed my frugal brain. When you wrote back 
my hands shivered,
I was reading about the oversoul, of all things, and 
just not buying it, it 


was the 70’s, there seemed to be something and nothing
at all there, all the 
Baba Ram Dass “Be Here Now” 
shit among dusty museum fetuses floating in 
flecked formaldehyde jars,
cold buoyant bundles of stimuli and response severed
from the world of feeling
and yet feeling and thought was everything, wasn’t it?, the 
poems and letters in our
mailboxes appearing every night, we saw Jr. Walker 
and the All-Stars play
“Shotgun” and when we walked home that night we were not lovers, 


we weren’t really talking 
except daring each other’s presence and when I reached
for your hand as we crossed 
the railroad tracks you pulled it back, but later that night,
sitting on the wicker sofa 
and reading the paper you pretended not to know me 
and yet there you were,

abstract and concrete, we slept on my mattress with the moon-
light on us, agreeing
to keep it decent but naked, like Emerson, you were
so lovely, so stoic
so smart and so real, and your gypsy heart, your itinerant
fortune-telling heart, turning
and turning as you danced, I could not face you, or myself,

that Spring, without fear, without
tiring of Thoreau living in his shack, without feeling
what I felt, spelled by a

gypsy and a cat, each evening returning to that
mailbox praying there’d be          
another letter answering my poems, hoping there’d be
no letter, not tonight,
I could feel your heart turning and turning, this time in my
chest, and how one dances
with that, so suddenly alone and feeling, alive.



No comments: